Well, there goes another week of unemployment and opening the inbox to see Seek saying "here's some jobs we thought you might be interested in, even though you're probably not" and 'Dear Kahiwa' replies saying I don't match the criteria. It's enough to drive someone to depression over a suitable length of time.
BUT, not if someone were to have been given a book full of old-fashioned Australian Women's Weekly Sweet Things Recipe Book - and, if they enjoyed baking as much as Yours Truly.
And so, at the depth of despair yesterday (ok, I think I'm entitled to a little melodrama :p), I made Melting Moments. Chocolate and Peppermint Melting Moments. Delicious tiny bite-sized Melting Moments.
And they were fabulous.
So I made more, Lemon Passionfruit ones this time, in a normal approx. 4-bite size.
Mmmmmm.
What is it about baking that is so soothing? I read somewhere that offering home-made baking is an unconscious display of fertility and the offering up of that. Hmmm, yeah nah, not yet ay. But even the Tomato and Capsicum Soup with a quick camp-style Damper bread today was filling and heart-lifting. When you're beating and stirring, and measuring and pouring, you're so focused on what's in that bowl or pot that nothing can really affect you right then - except running out of an ingredient. And when it all comes together, when you take it out of the oven or tray and it smells and looks perfect, how can the world not be just right?
Which makes me think of my favourite phrase of Mass:
Priest - "Lift up your hearts"
Congregation - "We lift them up to the Lord"
Priest - "Give thanks"
Congregation - "It is right to give Him thanks and praise"
... and so on. That's probably not right, but that's how I remember it. It's in those sentences that the light's always just a tiny bit brighter, and the Angels' singing is almost audible, and everything just seems right in the world. I can't help but think of the beautiful stained glass windows of Our Lady in Tawa and Waikanae and how pretty they would both look at that time on a Sunday morning.
Probably I should go back to Mass. Especially with it being Easter and all. Just need to find a church around here... Maybe He'll give me some inspiration on the job-front too?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
thats my favourite part of Mass too hehe !! and the sign of peace
Post a Comment