Friday, July 3, 2009

Chicken tikka & Roast Vege salad

At the suggestion of one supersmart Oncle, I shall blog some recipes as I cook them. No guarantees how often it'll be.

On tonight's menu is: Chicken Tikka and Roast Vege Salad.

My version of Chicken tikka is pretty darn simple to be honest. It's also super easy to modify.

You'll need:
meat - this can be chicken breasts, thigh cutlets anything really but I especially like the lovely legs
sauce - you can use any curry paste (Tikka Masala, Butter chicken, Red thai curry, etc.), and if it's too hot mix in some tomato paste. You mix this up with tomato paste/coconut milk, swap curry spices for moroccan spices, anything you want. I know it won't technically be Tikka anymore, but I'm sure that just refers to oven-baked pieces... doesn't it?

What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 200'C
2. Smother the meat in your sauce.
3. Pour meat onto an oven tray, preferably with raised edges in case the sauce expands and oozes.
4. Cook for approximately 20mins or until chicken is no longer pink on the inside.

Roast Vege salad

You'll need:
an assortment of vegetables, sliced/diced. If it's as the main side (i.e. in replacement of your standard carb), I like to use potatoes, kumara (sweet potato) and pumpkin. As a smaller side carrots, zucchini, capsicum and red onion work well. I've also successfully tried broccoli and beans.
Tonight, because I was serving it with mashed potatoes (for Granddad), I used 2" long and 1/2" thick slices of carrots, zucchini, red onion and beans, and threw in some frozen corn for colour.

1. Preheat oven to 200'C for smaller veges and 220'C for thicker veges.
2. Place all sliced/diced veges in a large bowl.
3. Drizzle over some olive oil, just enough to coat. I like to sprinkle over a spice mix of some kind - either moroccan seasoning, mixed herbs or my roast vege mix (garlic powder, vegetable stock powder, rosemary, salt and pepper).
4. Bake until browned and cooked.

Mmmmmmmm.

Hope that's easy enough to follow... Good luck!

No comments: