Sunday, December 21, 2008

Apologies for the delay, and any inconvenience caused.

Australia is… Australia is a number of things – well, Queensland anyway: Hot, humid, full of “plastics” and BUGS and useless service in shops. It's way to big - everything is a drive away, the nearest "local shop" is 30-40mins walk away or 5 minute drive, which is why everyone drives everywhere!
I’ve been here 4 weeks now and I think I’m liking it here… On the balance.
Here’s a downlow of the first few days:
The ride from the airport on the first day was daunting. The heat hits you like a solid wall when you exit any air-conditioned building almost as hard as the wind by the Shell on Featherston St. It’s so thick you imagine you can bite it… The 40-odd minute trip from Brisbane airport to the Gold Coast was followed soon after by my first ever trip to Ikea, but that might be a story for another day methinks.
Sunday, DH took me driving around the Coast – I had to drive… and MAN that was scary because Queenslanders are crazy mo-fos when they drive! They take gaps barely the size of their car on the Motorway at 110km/hr, but won’t take gaps 1km wide at intersections; they don’t seem to believe in indicating; or that orange lights mean slow, or red, stop.
Monday morning saw me home alone when everyone went to work by 630am. So I danced around the lounge to Channel[V] then went online to look for a job. One said to ring for an interview that day for some job that guaranteed $20-odd/hr without saying what for exactly… So I rang, and got told to come down for an interview in 45 mins. TomTom said the trip would take 30mins so I didn’t have time to even have a shower (I didn’t think I was going to be interviewing that day so hadn’t bothered to get dressed yet). A group interview was followed by an intense search on all fours of DH’s car to find change for the parking meter – which is only $2 an hour in the middle of town – and then another group search before I left to pick DH up from work. A phone call a few hours later let me know I was employed on my 3rd day in the country, even if it was to sell life insurance over the phone. I managed to get a job within days, faster than all 3 others in the house giggle I guess I’m just that cool, huh?
Now, this particular job was horrible. I spent all day being hung up on or abused and the few times I managed to "present" people weren't interested and I didn't have the heart to push like we were supposed to...
But that doesn't matter because I finished on Thursday and now I don't have to go there ever again :D

No comments: